After what feels like years of trying to grow my hair with tablets, oils, treatments, masks and brushes, I think I've finally found what I've been doing wrong - using shampoo and conditioner using sulphates!
Apparently sulphates cause the hair to be brittle and weak, which, of course will slow down growth and snap hair. From now on my hair (shampoo and conditioner wise anyway) is now sulphate free!
Reports show that sulfate can be the worst irritant ever responsible for burning sensation in the eyes and skin. Sulfate can penetrate in the skin even by application and can easily reach eyes, brain, and liver and damages the cells present there (sounds dramatic, I know.) It also interferes with the hormonal levels in the body.
Baby shampoos are always formulated without sulfates. This is the secret of their ‘no more tears’ formula. However, you cannot use baby shampoos as they have very mild cleaning agents which do little to take the dirt out of your hair.
I thought you'd be interested to see a comrehensive list of some shampoos that are sulphate free:
- ABBA True Curls Shampoo
- Alba Shampoo
- Alfa Parf’s Splendore Hydrate Shampoo
- Allafia Shampoo
- Aloe Jojoba Shampoo
- Aubrey Organics Shampoo
- Aveda Shampoo
- Avalon Shampoo
- Burt Bees Shampoo
- BrocatoSplash Shampoo
- Body Shop’s Honey Moisturizing Shampoo
- Beauty Without Cruelty Shampoo
- Dead Sea Natural Mineral Shampoo
- Deva Curl Low Poo Shampoo
- Desert Essence Shampoo
- Enjoy Shampoo
- Fragile Color Safe Shampoo
- Herbal Choice Natural Shampoo
- Honey Moisturizing Shampoo from Body Shop
- Jason Shampoo
- John Masters Organic Shampoo
- Jonathan Shampoo
- Kenra Shampoo
- Kiss My Face Shampoo
- L’ANZA Shampoo
- Logona Shampoo
- Mastey Shampoo
- Max Green Scalp Rescue Shampoo
- Nature Gate Organic Shampoo
- Neutrogena Triple Moisture Shampoo
- Nuture My Body Organic Volumizing Shampoo
- Optima Australian Tea Tree Shampoo
- Organic Care Systems Shampoo
- OSMO Shampoo
- Paves Prof Shampoo
- Pravana Shampoo
- Pureology Shampoo
- Real Purity Shampoo
- SEXY HAIR Shampoo
- Shikai Shampoo
- Silkane Shampoo
- Tara Smith’s Shampoo
- TiGi Shampoo
- Treasured Locks Shampoo
- Ultimate Shampoo
- Zerran Shampoo
I love Aveda products anyway and used the Shampure range, which I adored, so I'm off to pick up some more tonight. I'll keep you posted with any changes I have noticed - a review will follow.
Are you trying to grow your hair? Have you tried sulphate free too? I'd love to hear your tips and tricks!
Thank you for reading, as always.